The Wealth Creation Pillar focuses on researching the optimum institutional and policy environments for promoting wealth creation in PNG. The pillar also has a strong focus on land issues and policy, recognising that land reform is crucial for PNG's economic and social development. The NRI Wealth Creation Pillar has been engaged by the Government of PNG to undertake consultancies relating to housing and PNG's development performance and has collaborative partnerships with a range of national and international research institutions.
Land Research Program
Undertaking research to inform stakeholders on land issues and supporting the implementation of the Government's National Land Development Program. The NRI also hosts the secretariat of the National Land Development Advisory Group (NLDAG).
Click here to download the Land Research Framework draft document (2.9 MB).
National Land Development Conference
29 - 31 October 2012, NRI Conference Centre, Papua New Guinea
The NRI Land Resarch Program will be hosting a three-day National Land Development Conference from 29-31 October 2012 in Port Moresby. A Call for Papers has been made for interested members of the public who would like to prepare papers for presentation at the conference.
Click here for more information on how you can contribute to this important event.
Reducing the Cost of Living Program
Reducing the cost of living is an initiative driven by the NRI Council to identify drivers of cost of living and to conduct research and analyze policy as to how such costs can be reduced so that the average income earner can purchase more from wages and salaries. NRI had identified Housing and Food as areas that consume a large percentage of household income. These two areas form key components of the Reducing Cost of Living Program.
Economics Policy Program
Analysing high priority economic policy issues and barriers to accessing markets, including labour market conditions and fiscal, monetary and exchange rate policies. This program will conduct a study on 'better management and use of revenues from resource extraction'. Another study into commercial banks, loan sharks and super fund administration fits into the broader research program on the impediments to economic growth, given that lack of access to credit is identified as a major impediment to the development and prosperity of economic units.
The Diploma in Economic Policy Analysis Program will be revived and convened this year after it ceased in 2007. The EPAC program offer courses structured around Papua New Guinea 's development-oriented policy issues which include macroeconomic, investment, reforms and general economic policies.
- Optimising the Use of Budget Windfall Revenues Discussion Paper No. 113
- The Genesis of the Papua New Guinea Land Reform Program: Selected Papers from the 2005 National Land Summit Monograph No. 42
- Access to Land within the Settlements of Port Moresby Special Publication No. 49
- Foreign Aid and the Fiscal Behaviour of Papua New Guinea Discussion Paper No. 114
- Papua New Guinea's Development Performance 1975-2008. Monograph No. 41.
- Creation of a Sovereign Wealth Fund. NRI Discussion Paper No.110
- Land Reform in Papua New Guinea: Quantifying the Economic Impacts. NRI Discussion Paper No.108
- The Economic Impacts of Land Reform in Papua New Guinea. Spotlight with NRI, Vol.4 No.2
- Managing Natural Resource Revenues in Papua New Guinea. Spotlight with NRI, Vol.4 No.1
- A NRI Submission to the Independent Consumer and Competition Commission on the Housing Industry Review
- Papua New Guinea: Trade Policy and Trade Agreements. Spotlight with NRI, Vol.3 No.7
- The Need for a National Strategy to Overcome the Acute Housing Shortage Situation. Spotlight with NRI, Vol. 3 No. 1
- National Land Development Taskforce Report, Monograph No. 39,
- The Air Niugini-Quantas Code-share Arrangement: An Appraisal. Spotlight with NRI, Vol.1, No. 2
- Foreign Aid Syndromes. Spotlight with NRI, Vol. 1 No. 2
- The Need for Competition in the Mobile Communications Market. Spotlight with NRI, Vol.1 No. 4
- ICT Policy: The Need for Review. Spotlight with NRI, Vol. 1 No.5
- Interoil Fuel Supply Fiasco - The Need for Competency in Policy Articulation, Design and Implementation. Spotlight with NRI, Vol. 1 No. 7